Emma Lewisham Skin Shield Body/Face UVA/UVB SPF 30
Start every day with the world’s most powerful anti-ageing
ingredient – sun protection
Skin Shield by Emma Lewisham was borne out of a personal dilemma. Emma couldn’t find a truly 100% clean and natural sunscreen that was high performance but still felt luxurious on her skin.
Our green chemists have worked meticulously to develop this. A revolutionary daily sunscreen with 19 powerful natural actives, is 100% clean and natural, but invisible on the skin with no heaviness or greasiness and meets the highest of testing standards. It's also reef safe.
It is very difficult chemistry to formulate a 100% clean and natural sunscreen that is luxurious as conventional products which use chemical screens or silicones, but we have done just that.
Skin Shield SPF 30 (100g) zinc sunscreen provides broad spectrum defence against UVA and UVB rays.
19 effective botanical ingredients
We believe in complex formulas and that more ingredients and less fillers equal more results – and the independent testing we’ve done confirms we’re right. We don’t focus on one hero ingredient per product, we fill our products with the highest number of effective and innovative ingredients possible. Our goal is to create formulas that are effective and luxurious as anything in the world, without a drop of anything unclean or suspicious. No compromises.
Every ingredient works hard in our formulation but below are your noteworthy ‘skin heroes’:
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is like the glass of water your skin desperately needs when out in the sun. It's a molecule that draws and locks in moisture to your skin, supports elasticity, and boosts collagen production. It has an ability to absorb up to 1,000 times its weight in water.
- Zinc Oxide: Natural mineral pigment which gives protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays. Our zinc oxide is uniquely non-whitening, with no white residue left on your skin. It is also reef safe.
- Organic Prickly Pear: Is the ultimate beauty oil. It has the highest plant-based concentration of vitamin E of any skin oil (150% more than Argan oil). A powerful antioxidant that can penetrate through layers of skin, assisting the body with the natural wound-healing process. Vitamin E also helps to renew skin cells, making them stronger and reducing oxidative stress.
- Kakadu Plum: Vitamin C is a powerhouse for the skin, it’s one of the most research-backed skincare ingredients, and Kakadu Plum oil has the highest plant-based concentration of vitamin C in the world – 100 times more than an orange.
- Raspberry Seed Oil: Has powerful antioxidant properties which ward off damaging environmental aggressors and enhance UV protection.
Full list of ingredients
We ensure every Emma Lewisham ingredient is clean and safe and ban 2700 ingredients that have been identified by the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) Skin Deep Database as hazardous or potentially harmful to humans. Below is our full list of ingredients with their EWG ratings in brackets (1 = low, 10 = high).
You can also learn more about each ingredient and our sustainability goals in our Emma Lewisham Sustainability Framework.
Coco-caprylate/caprate (1) • Zinc oxide (nano) (2) • Water (1) • Tapioca starch (1) • Organic Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil (1) • Glycerin (2) • Sorbitan olivate (1) • Cera alba (1) • Lecithin (2) • Polyglyceryl-2 dipolyhydroxystearate (1) • Polyglyceryl-3 polyricinoleate (1) • Organic Opuntia ficus-indica (Prickly Pear) seed oil (1) • Hippophae rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) fruit oil (1) • Terminalia ferdinandiana (Kakadu Plum) seed oil (1) • Hyaluronic acid (1) • Organic Persea gratissima (Avocado) oil (1) • Leontopodium alpinum (Edelweiss) flower/leaf extract (1) • Organic Calophyllum inophyllum (Tamanu) seed oil (1) • Organic Mentha piperita (Peppermint) leaf extract (1) • Organic Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm) leaf extract (1) • Camellia oleifera (Camellia) seed oil (1) • Organic Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) butter (1) • Organic Veronica officinalis (Speedwell) extract (1) • Organic Rosa canina (Rosehip) fruit oil (1) • Organic Alchemilla vulgaris (Lady’s Mantle) extract (1) • Organic Rubus idaeus (Raspberry) seed oil (1) • Organic Malva sylvestris (Mallow) extract (1) • Organic Primula veris (Cowslip) extract (1) • Organic Vitis vinifera (Grape) seed oil (1) • Organic Achillea millefolium (Yarrow) extract (1) • Glyceryl caprylate (1) • Isostearic acid (1) • Caprylhydroxamic acid (1) • Sodium chloride (1) • Galactoarabinan (1) • Polyhydroxystearic acid (1) • Potassium cetyl phosphate (1) • Benzyl alcohol (1 at the concentration we use) • Parfum (natural fragrance, derived from flowers) • Benzyl Salicylate (3) • Citronellol (3) • Eugenol (3) • Geraniol (3) • Linalool (3)
- 100% of total ingredients are naturally derived
- 68% of active ingredients are from organic farming
- Our formulations contain benzyl salicylate, citronellol, eugenol, geraniol, linalool in very low concentrations as constituents of our essential oils. It’s worth noting that the EWG rating for these, refer only to the individual constituents extracted in a lab from the essential oil, or synthetic replications. The ratings are not applicable to our formulas, as we never use extracted or synthetic constituents, only the pure naturally occurring essential oil
How to Use
Apply liberally to skin and reapply every 2 hours, or more frequently if swimming, exercising, perspiring or towel drying.
To protect your skin, natural zinc sunscreens when rubbed in, do leave a small amount of whiteness. The higher the SPF, the more zinc/whiteness there is. We have formulated our SPF to have minimal whiteness on the skin, but we recommend warming the sunscreen between your hands before application as this makes it easier to rub into your skin.
If you have sensitive skin or allergies: While our formulation is 100% clean and naturally derived, we recommend if you have sensitive skin or allergies that you do a patch test first or consult your medical practitioner before using any new skincare product. If your skin is not responding well to one of our products, including irritation, please discontinue use and contact a medical practitioner.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding: This serum is generally safe to use while pregnant and breastfeeding, however, we recommend you check with your doctor before using.
Using Skin Shield with our other products
All of our products were developed to be used together. The general rule for skincare is to layer from the thinnest to the thickest product. For example, you could cleanse, then apply our Supernatural Triple Vitamin A+ Face Oil, then our Skin Reset serum, then use this Skin Shield UVA/UVB Face/Body SPF 30 sunscreen.